Thursday, November 30, 2006

I've read quite a bit about productivity enhancement with Quicksilver and use many of the things I've read about, like triggers to launch apps, triggers to control iTunes without needing to go near iTunes and tasks like uploading photos to Flickr with tags and sending files to people by mail, all without going outside Quicksilver.

the reason I like it is I don't use an external mouse on my Mac and I prefer to try and do as much as is humanly possible by keyboard to keep RSI at bay, but one I never really got in to is maintaining a todo list easily, I've been playing with Stikkit but that doesn't suit me, I don't like Outlook Tasks, I haven't tried Omnioutliner for similar reasons to Outlook, I don't want to have to switch to another app to create a task when it pops in to my head.

So i decided to have a proper 'go' at it and I have to say it suits me well and i like it, goes something like this.

reading something (mail in XP Outlook under parallels, post in NetNewsWire, page on Firefox, in fact anything anywhere on either OS) and decide must do something:

"ctrl-space" to launch QS
"." to go to text enter mode
"write about quicksilver" enter text normally
"tab" to action pane
"app" short for Append To..
"tab" to destination pane
"todo" to select my todo.txt file (Quicksilver indexes it's location)
"enter" and it's done

What's also nice is that when I want to open my todo Quicksilver seems to remember and so invoking it has the todo file ready to open and i just hit enter

Now I just need to figure out if I can easily delete text from the file inside of QS